So I completely dropped the ball on this recipe per week shindig. Life gets crazy and a girl gets busy, so what are you going to do? After all, I am no professional blogger like my husband. Also, the lighting in my kitchen is terrible for taking photos and I live in a city that gets little to no sunshine these days, making it nearly impossible to take worthy photos of my creations for you all to see.
Nonetheless, the pizza I made last night must be shared. For those of you that are into lighter, sauce-less pizzas, this one is for you. Enjoy. I call it the Contestabile. : )
- 1 pizza dough recipe (found below)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 5-7 cloves of garlic finely chopped or pressed
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, thyme and oregano to taste.
- 1 T pesto
- 3 T sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small can black olives (pits removed)- halved
- 1/2 package arugula lettuce- rinsed and dried
- 4 oz gorgonzola cheese- crumbled
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese- grated
- 2 small chicken breasts, cubed
3 1/2 C flour
3 T active dry yeast
3 T honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 C lukewarm water
1/3 C olive oil
In large bowl, combine honey and salt with lukewarm water, stirring until dissolved. Add yeast and let sit 5 minutes. Add oil and 1 C of the flour to mixture. Stir until most of the lumps are gone. Add the remaining flour and knead for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and soft. Place dough in a plastic bag and cover with a towel. Let rise for 1 hour. Punch down the dough and allow to rise for another 1 hour. Roll out, add sauce/toppings and bake in oven until golden brown.
1. Make pizza dough according to recipe.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and spices. This should be made in advance, along with pizza dough to give it ample time to infuse- the longer the better.
3. After dough has risen, roll it out to desired size of pizza pan, with a few extra inches to fold the crust up. I personally think this dough recipe works perfectly with a 14” round pizza pan.
5. Place dough on pan. Gently smooth the olive oil mixture over entire crust. Be sure to spread it evenly and to coat the edges well.
6. Next smooth out pesto, then top with sun-dried tomatoes and olives.
7. Add cheeses, then top with arugula and lastly the chicken.
Bake at 425˚ for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy.